Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Cook Out, Hicks In

Chip Scoggins from the Minneapolis Star Tribune has just reported that Vikings coach Brad Childress announced today that Artis Hicks will be replacing Ryan Cook at right tackle.

Cook, now in his third season out of New Mexico, has been under heavy scrutiny from fans lately for numerous holding penalties and sub-par performance in the pass protection. He's been a weekly hot topic on KFAN's Vikings Fanline, with many fans begging for his replacement.

After eleven weeks of the regular season, Childress and Co. have finally answered these pleas.

“It’s a cumulative work,” Childress said. “You’re trying to put yourself in the best position to win games. That’s all I’m doing.”

Asked whether or not he was surprised by this decision, Cook said, "not really. My performance in the last two games wasn’t very good per se so I kind of saw it."

Hicks, who covered for LT Bryant McKinnie during his four-game suspension at the beginning of this season, says he is more comfortable on the left side, but is not worried about the shift to the right.

“I played right tackle a couple snaps," Hicks said. "I think like two or three snaps in a real game situation but I’m looking forward to it. It’s not that big of a deal to me. That’s not to say that I don’t feel comfortable on the right. Naturally, I feel a little bit better on the left. So, I don’t think it will be much of a problem at all. I’ve played the right before. The plays, it’s just a matter of flipping them in your head and just going with it.”

Hicks will get to prove himself as a starter once again this week on the road against Jacksonville's 18th-ranked defense.

-Dan Beer

No comments: